12 Ways to Keep Your Roof in Top ShapeWe are all familiar with the Twelve Days of Christmas. Well, we’ve chalked up the Twelve Tips for Longer Roof Life. At TruBlue Roofing, we know that you can do many things to ensure that your shingles last as long as possible. Here are twelve of the best to keep you in the holiday spirit and make sure your roof is in good shape this winter season.
1. Keep your roof clean and free of debris.Leaves, branches, and other objects can damage the shingles and reduce their lifespan. Make sure to remove any debris that may be on the roof. Be sure to clean off your shingles at least three times a year, which should prevent any damage or other issues. Helpful hint: removing debris will also help you avoid having to replace them for many years.
2. Monitor if repairs are needed immediately after wind or hail storms.If your roof sustains any damage after a wind or hail storm, be sure to have the repairs done as soon as possible. Waiting too long can cause more damage and could lead to having to replace your entire roof.
3. Keep an eye on your roof’s color and condition.If you notice any shingles that are buckling, curling, or missing, it is vital to have them replaced right away. This is not only for the safety of your roof but also for the appearance. A roof in poor condition can lower the value of your home.
4. Make sure your roof is properly ventilated.Make sure your roof has proper ventilation because improper ventilation can lead to excessive heat and moisture, damaging the shingles. By having an experienced professional inspect your roof, you are taking the necessary precautions to keep your roof in tip-top shape for years to come. If your roof ventilation is not adequate, they may install vents or other solutions to improve the situation.
5. Have a professional check your roof every few years.It is important to have a professional inspect your roof at least every three years, so they can catch any potential problems and take care of them before they become more significant. Our experienced roofing team at TruBlue Roofing is well-versed in all roofing issues and fixes, and we can detect the smallest of damage before it becomes large and expensive.
6. Ensure your attic is properly insulated.If your attic is not insulated correctly, it can lead to a lot of heat and moisture buildup in your roof, and this can cause the shingles to deteriorate prematurely. Make sure your attic is properly insulated to avoid any problems with your roof.
7. Keep up with regular maintenance on your gutters and downspouts.Make sure you frequently check the condition of your gutter system, which can save you a lot of trouble down the road. A gutter system clogged with debris can cause water to back up and damage your roof.
8. Replace worn-out roofing materials.If you have any worn-out or damaged roofing materials, make sure to replace them right away. This includes things like roofing nails, shingle tabs, and flashing.
9. Always use high-quality materials for your roofing projects.Using cheaper, low-quality materials can cause damage to your roof and shorten its lifespan. This is often the case with roofing nails, which may start to rust or bend if they are not of good quality. Make sure you only use top-quality materials when working on your roof because this will help ensure its longevity and prevent any damage from occurring.
10. Trim overhanging tree branches that may cause damage to the roof.Overhanging tree branches can damage roofs, especially if they are not regularly trimmed. Make sure you have any overhanging branches pruned periodically to avoid having to replace your roof too soon. For more tips on extending the life of your shingles, visit TruBlue Roofing or give us a call to schedule a roof inspection.
11. Use galvalume metal in place of zinc.Galvalume is more durable and will resist rusting better than typical galvanized metal.
12. Roof Inspections HelpInspect your roof often to catch damage early. Problems with your shingles can be detected before they become major issues that need the whole roof replaced, and this saves you time and money in replacement costs!
Hire a Reputable RooferIf you follow these tips, you can help to ensure that your shingles will last for many years to come. For more information or help with roof repairs, contact a trusted roofing contractor in your area like TruBlue Roofing. Give us a call today at (919) 589-7290. Please share this information with friends and family. For more information on roofing and other home improvement topics, please read the following related blog articles:
- What To Do About Mold Growing On The Roof
- Winter Roofing Inspection | 3 Things To Focus On
- Winter Roofing Inspection Checklist
Get A Free Quote For Roof Repair, Inspections or Replacement
TruBlue Roofing is happy to provide a free quote for your roofing job. We are experts at repair, inspections and replacement. Simply fill out the form below and one of our expert roofers will be in touch within 1 business day.